Monday, August 06, 2012

Alzheimers Progresses Slower in Older Patients



Alzheimer's Reading Room


The bottom line here. These researchers found that Alzheimer's is often more aggressive, and progresses faster in patients under 80 years of age.

I am not surprised by this. I have been disconcerted for years when I hear from readers who tell me their loved took a sudden turn for the worse in their late sixties or early 70s. The patients I am referring to were all diagnosed in their early to mid 60s.

Conversely, I have spent an enormous amount of time thinking about how and why the disease progressed more slowly in my mother Dotty. Dotty went to Heaven on May 25, at the age of 95.

I still believe that our routine and regimen had an important effect on Dotty's life and outcome. It now appears that the odds were also on our side.

If nothing else, this research convinces me of the importance of living life, and doing everything possible to improve the quality of life, with the older old who are diagnosed with Alzheimer's (age >80 years).

At the same time, this research saddens me. While I didn't live it first hand, I know how emotionally devastating in can be to watch and live with a person living with Alzheimer's at a younger age.