Thursday, June 07, 2012

Memories, Memory, Alzheimer's Dementia


I thought, why is everyone so obsessed with memory, what they should be obsessed with is memories.

By Bob DeMarco
Alzheimer's Reading Room

I'm sitting here thinking about when I first realized that Dotty was suffering from dementia. No other word to describe it -- Burden. An enormous psychological and emotional burden. I decided to drop out of the world and take care of Dotty.

A few people immediately understood. They understood my relationship with my parents, so they weren't surprised.

Most people were surprised. I was surprised that they were surprised. I thought, if not me, who is going to do it?

In the beginning people asked, how long do you think you will be doing this? I answered a year or two.

Yes, I was brainwashed. I was a victim of the stigma attached to Alzheimer's.

I figured before long Dotty won't know me. That I would have to get professional help, or put her some place.