Thursday, December 19, 2013

Family Denial of Alzheimer's

It’s human to deny what we find unpleasant or frightening.

Family Denial of Alzheimer's

Denial:
  • I’ve always looked to Dad for strength and guidance. I don’t know how I can handle things without him. The thought that I have to take care of him as well as myself is too terrifying for words.
  • He’s the parent, I’m the child. It’s never been any other way and I don’t know how to change it.
  • If I ignore it, it will just go away.
  • He had a really good day today; maybe it’s not really as bad as I though. I’ll just wait until his behavior and memory get worse.
  • He’s just having a bad day. He’ll be better tomorrow.
  • If I admit that he has dementia then that means that I’ll probably get it too and I can’t face that.
  • He made me promise that I would never put him in a nursing home. That’s where I’ll have to put him if he has Alzheimer’s, so I won’t admit that he has it.
In response to the keyword search

family denial of alzheimer's

Google suggested you read the following article