Friday, March 01, 2013

Alzheimer's Robbed Us of Our Ability to Communicate


Our communication and the way we related to each other changed - abruptly, over night. It was as if our ability to communicate effectively had been robbed from us.

lzheimer's Robbed Us of Our Ability to Communicate
I knew and understood the changes that were being caused by Alzheimer's disease. On the other hand, my mother couldn't see the change. She couldn't understand what was happening.

When my mother would say something mean, or act out crazy behavior, I experienced the same emotions I had my entire life. Anger, frustration, and agitation.

Why wouldn't I? I felt the same exact feelings and emotions that I had been experiencing for 50 years in similar situations. I had already been communicating and coping for 50 years. I had my way of coping and dealing with problems. 

They no longer worked.

Looking in from the outside at Alzheimer's, most people would conclude its easy to come to an understanding that the meanness and craziness are a direct result of the disease -- Alzheimer's. Alzheimer's causes these erratic behaviors.

Continue reading