Monday, October 08, 2012

God Bless Paul and Jocelyn Delaney

Like most caregivers Jocelyn traveled the long and winding road. She felt the enormous burden that comes with the daily effort of caring.

Alzheimer's the Importance of Touching and Smiling
Paul and Jocelyn Delaney
I learned recently that Jocelyn Delaney's beloved husband Paul had passed away.

It would be impossible for me to describe in words the overwhelming amount of emotion I felt when I read those words.

I never met Paul or Jocelyn Delaney in person. They live on the other side of the world in New Zealand. Yet, I feel like I know them.  The Internet is a powerful communication medium.

Here on the Alzheimer's Reading Room we meet. We have a natural affinity for each other. We understand the trials and tribulation that caregivers of all types feel.

We are empathetic. This empathy helps many caregivers to carry on. To live each day.

Sometimes we are their main connection to the world as we know it.


Jocelyn made thousands of comments on this website. In those comment she told us how she felt, what she was feeling, and she shared her insight.

She also brought comfort to many of the caregiver readers of the ARR.

She not only cared, she shared.

Many of us feel like we know her. We also got to know Paul through her.

Like most caregivers Jocelyn traveled the long and winding road. She felt the enormous burden that comes with the daily effort of caring.

I also feel that Jocelyn found the path to Joy. I don't want to put words in her mouth. Perhaps she will tell us how she is feeling in the days, weeks, and months ahead.

It is not easy being us. But, somehow we do it right up until the very end.

God bless Paul. God bless Jocelyn.

I can say without any hesitation that I admire and respect Jocelyn.

Jocelyn is a role model for all of us.


Original content the Alzheimer's Reading Room