Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Why Do the Deeply Forgetful Say No

It is very common for a person that is deeply forgetful to say "no" when you ask them to do something.

By Bob DeMarco

Why Do the Deeply Forgetful Say No

I don't know why, but it seems like this is a secret to many in the dementia community even though this is a common occurrence.

Most dementia caregivers accept the word "No" from the deeply forgetful. Then they turn around and vent about it to anyone that will listen.

S/he says no all the time, they say.

It is very common for a person that is deeply forgetful to say "no" when you ask them to do something. I don't know why, but it seems like this is a secret to many in the dementia community.

Frankly, I knew for a long time when Dotty said "no" she didn't mean it. Nevertheless, it still drove me crazy, and often made me feel frustrated or angry.


Continue reading


in the Alzheimer's Reading Room.