In 2009, unpaid Alzheimer's caregivers provided 12.5 billion hours of unpaid care, this healthcare service contribution to the country is estimated to be worth $144 billion.....By Bob DeMarco
Alzheimer's Reading Room
Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures 2010
The 2010 Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures provides a statistical resource for United States data related to Alzheimer’s disease.
- 5.3 million people have Alzheimer's disease. See Sobering Statistics about Alzheimer's Disease
- Alzheimer’s disease is the most common cause of dementia. See Dementia and the Eight Types of Dementia
- Alzheimer’s disease was the seventh-leading cause of death across all ages in the United States in 2006.
- Alzheimer's disease was the fifth-leading cause of death for those aged 65 and older.
- There are 10.9 million unpaid Alzheimer's caregivers in the United States.
- In 2009, Alzheimer's caregivers provided 12.5 billion hours of unpaid care, this healthcare service contribution to the country is worth almost $144 billion.
- Unpaid Alzheimer's caregivers are usually family members but also include friends and partners. See Are Alzheimer's Caregivers the Forgotten?
- More women than men have dementia.
To view and obtain a copy of the full report -- Go here.
More About the Alzheimer's Reading Room
Bob DeMarco is the editor of the Alzheimer's Reading Room and an Alzheimer's caregiver. Bob has written more than 1,200 articles with more than 9,000 links on the Internet. Bob resides in Delray Beach, FL.