Saturday, March 29, 2008

Alzheimer's: How to help the caregivers

clipped from www.mayoclinic.com

Alzheimer's caregivers need all the help they can get. If you'd like to help, but don't know how, here are some tips.


Everybody says the same thing when a friend is going through a difficult time: "Let me know how I can help." But such offers are often difficult to accept — primarily because they're not specific.


It's much easier to accept concrete offers, such as:

  • "I'm going to the grocery store. May I pick up a few things for you?"
  • "I've got a couple of hours free tomorrow afternoon. May I sit in for you while you run a few errands?"
  • "I made an extra big meatloaf so that I could share it with you. I brought enough to last you for several meals."
  • "Do you need some laundry done? I can come over today and do it. Or maybe I could help you sort medical bills or do dishes."

  • Even sending a card or making a phone call means a lot.
    Often visits are even better
    Sometimes a caregiver just needs a little contact with the outside world.

    Be gently persistent in your offers of help
     blog it